Local gin Ogogoro Methanol poisonA test conducted by the National Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) in Lagos State, south-west Nigeria, showed that high concentration of methanol poison in a local gin killed 23 persons that died mysteriously in Ondo State.


  • The test result was announced on Saturday by the Lagos State Commissioner for Health
  • High concentration of Methanol poison is said to have been found in the local gin, Ogogoro
  • The government had banned the sales of Ogogoro in the state 


The result of the test was made known to reporters in Akure, the capital of Ondo State, by the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Dayo Adeyanju, on Saturday.

According to the results, the local gin, popularly called Ogogoro, consumed by the individuals that died in Ode-Irele contained a high concentration of the poisonous substance.

Giving an update on the cause of the strange ailment that broke out in the town last week, which had been attributed by traditionalist to the desecration of a shrine in the area, Adeyanju said the poisonous drink had killed 23 people so far.

He said 10 others were still receiving treatment at the UCH, Ibadan and at the General Hospital in Ode-Irele.

Devotees appeasing the gods thought to have caused the myserious deaths. Photo: tribune.com.ng

The Commissioner further stressed that sale and consumption of local gin otherwise called “Ogogoro” had been banned in the entire State ‎until it would be fully established that the drink does not contain methanol poison. He did not state whether further test would be conducted.

Traditionalists in the state had attributed the cause of death to desecration of a shrine by some individuals, a claim that triggered massive visit to the shrine by individuals with water and leaves in an attempt to appease the gods.

NP/Agency Report


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here