Hello there! Welcome to the second session of CORO GRAMMAR. As in the first session, we have tried to make the lesson as casual as possible. Hope you enjoy and learn from it.
The President is in consultation with the Governor’s of New York and California. (Killing two governors (sorry, birds) with one stone!)
ERRORS/ANALYSES: There are 3 errors in this sentence.
ERROR 1: Punctuation
RECALL: Punctuation is the use of spacing, conventional signs, and certain typographical devices as aids to the understanding and correct reading of written text, whether read silently or aloud (Wikipedia).
ANALYSIS: Capitalisation is an essential part of punctuation. President is a common noun just like teacher, journalist, wife, husband, doctor, etc. As such, it is NOT capitalised, except when it occurs at the beginning of a sentence or when used as a title.
You do not write, for instance:
- The Teacher is in the class.
- My sister’s Husband is a Doctor.
President, in the case sentence, does not begin the sentence and is not used as a title. If it were, it would be with the name of the bearer of the title viz:
- He said President Donald Trump was in consultation with the Governor’s of New York and California.
ERROR 2: Same as ERROR 1
ANALYSIS: Governor, in the sentence, is also not used as a title and is not at the beginning of the sentence. Used as a title, it would be:
- The president is in consultation with Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York and Governor Gavin Newsom of California. OR, at the beginning of the sentence:
- Governor’s Andrew Cuomo of New York and Gavin Newsom of California are in consultation with the president.
So, it should be:
- The president is in consultation with the governor’s of New York and California.
But then, there is still an outstanding error.
ERROR 3: Punctuation – Misplaced Apostrophe
ANALYSIS: In punctuation, the apostrophe sign (‘) is used to indicate a contraction or used before or after an s to indicate a possessive case, depending on the number of the subject.
- He isn’t at the White House (He is not at the White House).
- He is in the governor’s office (He is in the office of the governor).
- He is in Governor Cuomo’s office (He is in the office of Governor Cuomo).
- He goes to the governors’ offices periodically (He goes to the offices of the governors periodically.
CASE SENTENCE CORRECTION
The president is in consultation with the governors of New York and California.
NEXT CASE SENTENCE
Much people have tested positive to coronavirus
Have you come across a wrong coronavirus-related word or expression? Present it in the COMMENT section of this page and/or the NewsPlus FACEBOOK page and let’s analyse it together.
REMEMBER: A good way to learn is to share what you know with the hope that those who don’t know would learn from you and those who know better than you would correct what you thought you knew.
See you in the next class!