Boko Haram sect.Suspected members of the Boko Haram terrorist group have stolen dynamite and pick-up trucks from a French-owned cement company in Ashaka, Gombe State in north-east Nigeria.

Highlights:

  • The dynamite was stolen on Tuesday
  • Boko Haram also robbed a bank and attacked a police station
  • The group is believed to be funding its operations partly through bank robberies
  • More bomb attacks may occur in coming days
  • Attacks have continued even after the Nigerian government claimed it has reached a ceasefire agreement with the Boko Haram sect

Details

The attack in Ashaka, in Gombe state, on Tuesday came after the Islamists robbed a bank, blew up a police station and razed a political party office 20 kilometres (12 miles) away in Nafada.

Both incidents again demonstrated Boko Haram’s apparent ability to strike at will and further punctured government claims that a ceasefire deal has been reached to end five years of bloodshed.

The group is believed to be funding its operations in part through bank robberies and has previously stolen vehicles including armoured personnel carriers, weapons and ammunition from the Nigerian military.

The loot has triggered fears that there would be more bombings in coming days as the dynamite could be used in making Improvised Explosive Devices.

Unlike previous attacks in recent months in the north-east, the militants did not attempt to hold the town, leaving after they had gathered their loot into the pick-up trucks.

AFP quotes French diplomats in Nigeria as saying that none of its nationals was taken in the raid. The head of the Lafarge group, Bruno Lafont, said operations had not been affected.

“The factory was the target of intruders. There were no injuries. There was no damage in the factory,” he told reporters in Paris on Wednesday.

“This morning (Wednesday), the situation is still calm and everything is back to normal.”

Looted high explosives

The Lafarge plant, set up in 1974, is the largest cement works in northern Nigeria and employs about 500 people, including an unspecified number of expatriates.

According to one worker, Amadu Wunti, the gunmen stormed the site at about 3:00 pm local time. He said they looted high explosives and demanded to be taken to where expatriate managers stay.

Wunti identified the expatriates as French nationals but the Lafarge group said it did not comment on its foreign staff for security reasons.

At the time, the plant was mostly empty, with staff having run to safety when news spread that the gunmen were coming after the raid in Nafada, which left at least 10 dead, according to residents.

Locals Abubakar Galda and Awwal Ibrahim said five soldiers were killed at a checkpoint and four worshippers were shot dead at a mosque with the town’s most senior cleric.

Wunti’s account was supported by several others, including another staff member, who said: “They (the militants) pulled out after the raid. They did not hurt or kidnap anyone.

“But they took eight company vehicles and lots of dynamite used in quarry work. The attackers, which included young women, broke into the store and loaded dynamite into the vehicles and drove off.”

Continued attacks

Despite military claims that they are countering the terrorists, attacks have continued in towns and villages in the north east.

They had attacked Nafada a border town near Yobe, a state under emergency rule since May last year because of the Islamist uprising and where Boko Haram is reportedly in control of several towns and villages.

The violence would be consistent with Boko Haram’s recent pattern of striking south of their stronghold in the northeast, where it is attempting to carve out a hardline Islamic state.
The attack happened after a triple bombing at a bus station in the Gombe state capital, Gombe city, last week, which killed at least seven people and injured dozens of others.

Suspected militants on Sunday used dynamite to blast open a jail in the central state of Kogi, where Boko Haram prisoners have been held, allowing over 132 to escape.

Bloodshed has continued across the north since the government claimed on October 17 that Boko Haram had agreed to a ceasefire.

The Nigerian government maintains that it is still negotiating with the sect and that the truce is still viable, despite the continued violence and mounting death toll.

But most experts believe that the purported Boko Haram envoys supposedly in talks with the government have no ties to the group’s real leadership.

Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, in a video released over the weekend dismissed talk of a ceasefire as “a lie”.

 

NP/AFP

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here