Relations of Immigration job stampede2The Nigerian President, Goodluck Jonathan, has presented letters of employment into the Nigerian Immigration Service to members of the 15 families who lost sons and daughters during the Service’s recruitment exercise last year.

Highlights:

  • President Jonathan gave employment letters to 33 members of the different families
  • They were also given money
  • The job seekers died on March 15 in stampede that occurred at different locations of the immigration test
  • President Jonathan says the job offer is not a compensation

Details

The employment letters were presented to 33 members of the bereaved families on Friday at a brief ceremony in the Presidential Villa.

Employment had been offered to three members of each bereaved family, but some of the bereaved families are yet to present qualified members to take up the offer.Relations of Immigration job stampede

In his remarks at the occasion, the President said that he was deeply saddened by the death of their relatives in circumstances that were completely avoidable and unwarranted.

According to a statement by the spokesman for the President, Dr Reuben Abati, President Jonathan said the Federal Government was fully committed to ensuring high standards for recruitment processes into the public service, and the provision of safety measures to avoid the recurrence of the March 15, 2014 incident which claimed many lives.

“Today is a sad day for all of us. First, let me convey our deepest condolences to the families who lost very young people during the recruitment exercise into the Nigeria Immigration Service.

“It is quite regrettable and we promise that such a thing will never happen again,” President Jonathan said.

President Jonathan apologised for the delay in fulfilling the promise of employment to members of the bereaved families, explaining that employment into the public service must go through some processes.

Cheques for an undisclosed amount were also given to each of the bereaved families at the occasion.

“The cheque is not for compensation. You cannot replace somebody with any amount of money,” the President said.

Speaking on behalf of the bereaved families, Yunusa Imam thanked President Jonathan for the cheques and letters of employment.

“We thank you, Mr. President for the promises that you have kept.

We are profoundly grateful,’’ Imam, a guardian of one of the victims, said.

After the death of the job seekers at different locations on March 15, President Jonathan promised to offer jobs to members of the affected families.

 

NP/Reuben Abati

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here